~ Bill Moyer, Backbone's executive director and co-founder.
We need to raise the money for my salary and I invite you to make a contribution, either a sustaining monthly amount (this page), or a once a year donation for the next 2-3 years, if you can.
Bring Amy Back to Backbone!
For over a decade, Backbone Campaign has supported a progressive populist revolution. It is now time to take the organization to scale. But without someone to manage the day to day work - managing the grant calendar, implementing our Fundraising Plan, developing our Board, tracking progress - the organization will not realize its amazing potential.
Bill and the Backbone Board recently asked if I would serve as the Backbone Campaign’s Deputy Director. At that moment, I could envision the deeper impact we could make if someone were dedicated and working hard on some of these less glamorous aspects of the work; I said a wholehearted yes!
About Me (Amy): I was part of the Backbone Campaign several years ago, from 2004-2010. During this period, the organization grew from a scrappy Vashon-led celebration of political Backbone to a nationally networked campaign to build a progressive social movement.
After seven years I took a break and turned my attention to learning more about nonprofit management, fundraising, and accounting. I served on a few local boards and worked in different capacities for nonprofits and other agencies.
Then in 2014 two things happened. First, I read an article by Rebecca Solnit about how climate change is global-scale violence - against places, species, and human beings. Solnit's writing woke me up about what climate change would mean to everything I loved. I realized what a treasure Backbone Campaign is as a resource to amplify our voice and our hope for change - how fortunate we are to have this in our community.
Around that time, Bill showed me some of the leadership materials he was using to expand his skills as an Executive Director. I was struck by Backbone’s evolving and mature approach to its work -- with more reflection, a unified and focused strategy and spreading the joy of citizen activism.
I joined the Board and have enjoyed reconnecting the organization with our Vashon base, especially those of you who have been with us since the beginning, in 2004, and hosting various local events. I also realized that I had been missing my tribe; "We Are Many" - and we are all part of a larger, compassionate family.
- You may also send a check to: Backbone Campaign, PO BOX 278, Vashon, WA 98070 (Please put "Bring Amy Back!" in the memo field.)
- PayPal users http://tinyurl.com/BackbonePayPal
What Happens Next?
Backbone’s role in building the revolution includes:
- the groundbreaking proposal of Solutionary Rail,
- sending our imagery to allies and partners across the country,
- growing our Community Supported Organizer program and launching CSOs across the country,
- finishing both our Creative Tactics Organizer's Manual and our Grand Strategy Theory of Change Book, and finally
- embarking on a capital campaign for a Center for Change Agency, here on Vashon Island.
But none of this can adequately happen while being so understaffed.
Backbone needs a Deputy/Managing Director and I want to be that person. I have time, my kids are almost grown up, I am deeply committed and loyal to the mission, and I love this tribe. I promise to steward your investment so that our voices are heard and are more effective.
This is a fight for what we love - the Salish Sea, our children's future, hope. An indigenous leader shared with Backbone that "we are in a spiritual struggle to be fought with love." But in order for us to win, we must grow our capacity.
Will you make an investment in Backbone’s capacity, so that we can help deliver a future worthy of our children and grandchildren?
* Thank YOU for supporting the Backbone Campaign located in Vashon, WA. Backbone Campaign is registered with Washington State's Charities Program as required by law and additional information is available by calling 800-332-4483 or visiting www.sos.wa.gov/charities.